Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Back to reading

I read a lot. I read for classes. I read for my comprehensive exams. I read for my tutorials. I read essays and exams and articles enough to last me for the rest of my life. Really, I don't mind. I like to read. I like to curl up on my couch and work my way through theory. I like to sit at my desk and read articles. I like to learn. I like theory.

But, with all of this reading, I don't get much reading done for pleasure. By the end of the day, by the time schoolwork and research and marking and class prep is done, I don't feel like I have a lot of time to read just for me. I tend to pile into bed with my TV and shows that I don't even really like all that much.

In an effort to get back some pleasure reading, I'm trying something new. No more Leno or Letterman at night. Instead, I'm going to try to tuck myself into bed early(ier) every night, snuggle under the covers (I love me some covers) and read before I go to sleep. I find, once I have the TV on, that I don't like to turn it off, even if I'm not really watching, so I stay up later both because it's on and because it's less relaxing than warm light, heavy covers, soft pillows, and a good book. I'm hoping that, out of this effor to read, I'll be motivated to find more time for pleasure reading in general - as a morning treat, or an afternoon break, or when I just need a bit of time to unwind.

And, in the spirit of getting myself to read, I think I'm going to start tracking here the books that I'm working my way through, and especially the ones that I really love. I'd love to share some of the books that I love with other people, and hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.

First on the list: "The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi."

No comments: